Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dinner Time!

Ava with her second helping of Fish!!


Tilapia with Pico De Gallo on the side
Saute Spinach with mushrooms and garlic


Hayden pounding his fish.


I am not sure about you all but dinner time around my house has always seemed to be a fight. When Hayden was little we did not do a very good job of having him eat what we ate. I tell myself it was because he had no teeth so he could not chew too well. Who knows the delusions I tell myself to not feel like such a bad mom. Hayden use to be one of the worst eaters, but he would eat junk all of the time... So when little Ava appeared we were not going to do this with her. We only offered her what I cooked for dinner, and what can I say she eats anything. Or at least will try it. So in the past couple of months we have really taken a hard line with Hayden and made him eat what I make for dinner. I am proud to say I am no longer a short order cook. This week he has had Italian pot roast, Oven Fried Pork Chops, Eggs (did not feel like making a meal), and Tilapia with pico de gallo. Yes you read correctly fish. This is now one of his favorite meals. He even asked me for fish tonight when he woke up this morning. People had told me when he gets hungry enough he will eat. Guess what he will. Hayden even says wow this tastes good, i.e. he hated butter but he tried it at at Mima and Pepa's and now loves butter. So we are very proud of Hayden. Mike and I are also glad to have a family dinner with no more fighting for someone to eat or being sent to their room. Dinners are pleasant around the Fruia house. Moral of the story: It is true they will eat when they are hungry whatever it is...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My son is one of those very picky eaters too!!! I don't mind giving in to what he wants for lunch, but at dinner, he has to eat what we make or he really doesn't get anything at all (maybe a piece of fruit after dinner). But he still doesn't eat a single veggie. I don't know what to do. He did take a small bite of a green bean the other day, and that is a lot for him. Any ideas?

Brittany said...

I have always been a very picky eater, so I can empathize w/ Hayden. I am sure I will be a short order cook for Rhett too! Congrats on the "happy" meals.

Betsy said...

That is awesome and the tilapia and spinach look great. I am making homemade pizza tomorrow night with whole wheat crust...we will see how it comes out.